Jan 16, 2012

Review: Bakkian Chronicles Book 1 by Jeffrey Poole

Bakkian Chronicles, Book I - The ProphecyBakkian Chronicles, Book I - The Prophecy by Jeffrey Poole
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I really only had one problem with this book. I hate the third person omniscient voice. It hampers individual character development, stunts meaningful dialogue, and generally feels like a crutch. The worst part is, it's a crutch that this book didn't need! It would be like giving a sprinter a crutch just before a race. Clumsy, occasionally painful, and a little sad as you wonder what the race would have been like without it.

That said, this book was a good read. This is not a gritty, "real" fantasy world. You won't feel dirty after reading it, you can be pretty confident that the good guys are going to win the day, and you can count on cheesy one-liners when the going gets rough. In short, it's everything that a nice escapist fantasy should be. The ideas are clever, the world is interesting, and you can tell that the author has a genuinely good heart. Especially since my mind jumped to incredibly evil applications of some of these powers... I'll just leave it at that.

Definitely a series to watch if you like your fantasy lighthearted, your action explosive, and your reading fun.


No comments:

Post a Comment