Apr 1, 2012

A is for...

Apple Pie!


So I'm clearly not a very good blogger. I mean, seriously, look at my update pattern... and I say pattern in the most generous sense of the word. So I'll give this blogging from A to Z thing a try, I guess, and maybe it'll make me a better person. Or blogger. Probably not both.

So I'll just be writing about a few of my favorite things. You know, like raindrops on roses or whiskers on kittens or... Damn it, I always get my favorite things confused with Maria von Trapp's


One of my favorite things is apple pie. What's not to love here? It's delicious, I can fool myself into thinking it's healthy, and it's so easy to make! See, look:



You will need:
4-5 large firm apples (preferably Granny Smith...but I like it tart)
1 1/2 cups flour, with extra for rolling
1 tsp salt
1 tsp baking powder
3/4 cups chilled butter or shortening
Water
Granulated sugar
Brown sugar
Nutmeg
Cinnamon


Pre-heat oven to 375.




For each double-crust pie:
Store-bought crusts are not actually of the devil, since they save lots of time...However, the crust recipe below is delicious, flaky, and possibly the most wonderful thing you will ever eat.

Mix together the flour, salt, and baking powder. Cut in shortening/butter until the chunks are the size of small peas. Turning the dough with a fork, add water a little at a time until the dough just sticks together.  

Roll the dough out on well-floured pastry cloth or clean surface until it's approximately 1/8" (super thin!). Flip the crust over the rolling pin and slide it into pie pan, pressing it down to fit. Sprinkle a little flour into the bottom to absorb moisture and cut off the excess

Filling:
Peel and slice the apples thinly.  

Layer the apples into the pie pan, sprinkling them with cinnamon, nutmeg and brown sugar whenever you complete a layer. Place another layer of apples and spices, and a third and fourth, depending upon your pan, until it mounds slightly above the level of your pan.



Roll out the top. Once the pie is filled, gently wet the edge of the bottom crust, flip the top crust over the rolling pin and slide it over the pie. Cut off the excess. Crimp the edges with a wet or floured fork. Prick the top with a fork to allow steam to release, then sprinkle lightly with sugar.  



Bake for 45 minutes, or until the crust is lightly browned. Cool for about ½ hour to allow the liquids inside to gel.  Enjoy!




Nothing to it. So the next time dogs and bees gang up and leave you feeling sad, take some time and make yourself an apple pie. It's a good sight better than snowflakes that get stuck in your eyelashes. How annoying would that be?

6 comments:

  1. Oh, how yummy! I am a lover of anything that involves sweetness, so this is right up my alley. I will make sure to make it when I have the time.

    Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, yes, the familiar scent and flavor of home. My mother was quite a cook, though when it comes to pies my father actually does a better job. There's an apple tree in the back yard of our old homestead which produces so many apples the whole family gets an endless supply of pies all winter.

    Try tossing in a dash of tapioca into the pie sometime. It does wonders.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds delicious. I make pies quite often - there must be something in the male chromosomes because my husband and son are practically addicted. But, I confess I either use the store bought crust or make a crumb topping.

    I make biscuits from scratch, I'm not sure why crust intimidates me so much. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wait, you say it like apple pie may NOT be healthy... what are you getting at?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I enjoy your style. I started with the most recent post Heavenly Hedgehog and came back to the beginning. I think you'll do fine at the A to Z and your blogging habits should be the better for it.

    Thanks for coming along for the alphabetical ride.


    Lee
    An A to Z Co-Host
    Tossing It Out

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi! This sounds SO easy to make, even better I have all of those ingredients in my kitchen! I wonder why my grandma always makes it sound so hard?! D:

    ReplyDelete